Thursday 22 September 2011

Gnocchi with halloumi

Gnocchi isn't usually something that I would go for. But for some reason, a packet of fresh mini gnocchi caught my eye when I was picking up a few bits in Waitrose (isn't that always the case, go in for a loaf, come out having spent a small fortune!).

I decided to make a homemade tomato sauce to go with it and for protein to serve it with halloumi cheese.

Tomato gnocchi with halloumi

Anyway, it was such a hit with the kids - oh and the husband of course! I should probably add at this point that my kids love halloumi so to a certain extent any dinner containing halloumi always gets a big thumbs up!!

The gnocchi I bought was this one.....Del'Ugo Tricolor Baby Gnocci. And it only takes 2 minutes to cook - wow!!!

Before the school run, I made an easy tomato sauce and then at time dinner, I simply made the gnocchi (according to the instructions on the packet) and whacked some sliced halloumi under the grill. And hey presto, a meal in minutes for hungry kids!!

Simple tomato sauce:
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
8 mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp mixed herbs
Ground pepper to taste

I added the onions and garlic to my mini chopper & whizzed until fine.

I then added a glug of oil into a large pan and tipped in the chopped onion & garlic. I cooked them for a few minutes on a low heat before adding the mushrooms, herbs & pepper.

Once the onions had some colour, I added the tin of tomatoes and gave everything a good stir. I let it all cook, again on a low heat, for another 10 minutes and then added the balasmic vinegar.

After a few more minutes, I turned the heat off and left the pan on the hob. Once it had all cooled down, I put a plate on top and left it there to go and do the school run.

Mixed in with the gnocchi, before adding the halloumi:






1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Just wanted to say congrats for making it on to the Britmums 10 talented food bloggers list. I was on there to, so thought it might be nice to say hello!
    I love gnocchi. Have got some in the cupboard waiting to be used myself. Great fast food aren't they?!
    Would be great to chat in Twitterland sometime...

    ReplyDelete